The David Koloane Award is a celebration of the life and career of Dr. David Koloane, internationally respected artist, curator, writer and founder of the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios.
The 2017 Award will provide three young aspiring art writers with a two month mentorship guided by established South African Art writers and critics. The programme will focus on developing critical writing and approaches to the contemporary visual art landscape.
The mentee writers will work together to produce a small publication on the works of selected artists and will be presented alongside an exhibition at the FNB Joburg Art Fair.
This programme is created in partnership with the Department of Sports, Arts, Recreation and Culture and the FNB Joburg Art Fair.
Who is Eligible ?
– Johannesburg Based writers with some arts knowledge
– Between the ages of 18-35 years
– You must be available from 10 July for 8 weeks
– Able to participate for the duration of the award
WHAT DOES THE AWARD OFFER?
– Mentorship from the established art writers
– Opportunity to work with emerging and established South African artists
– Professional training by the Bag Factory Director & Curator
– A basic stipend
– An opportunity to present a small publication at the 2017 FNB Joburg Art Fair
– An opportunity to become part of the Bag Factory community
The programme starts on 10 July 2017 and runs for 8 weeks. The Award is aimed at emerging artists based in the broader Johannesburg region. _Please be aware that accommodation and living expenses are not provided and finalists are expected to participate in the full duration of the programme.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS is 4 pm Friday 30 June 2017
How are the applications assessed?
Applications are assessed by a selection committee made up of artists, curators, academics and buyers.
Applicants must submit:
▪ a substantial curriculum vitae
▪ copies of recent essays, articles and other texts
▪ a motivation letter