The Bag Factory has ONE studio available for rent. We are looking for a mid-career artist to join our studio community.
The Bag Factory is a professional studio space, located in the Fordsburg area. We have been operating for more than 25 years and have a stable community of artists from a wide variety of backgrounds. The studio space and its community strives for an open, non-hierarchical creative environment that promotes exchange and experimentation. We are looking for one artist to take up a studio on a permanent basis.
What does the artist receive?
– A studio that is approximately 15m², with 2 wooden walls suitable for hanging
– An electricity point is provided for standard use. (kiln’s, air conditioners, and other high voltage devices need to be discussed with the office.)
– Wireless internet access
– Basic security
– Become part of the Bag Factory community
– Marketing through the Bag Factory and its events
Who is eligible?
The artist must be:
▪ a full-time practicing visual artist who is capable of regularly using a studio in their visual arts practice.
▪ An artist with a willingness to be involved in the Bag Factory’s projects and events
▪ attend all artists meetings.
Our studio spaces are subsidised and are rented on a tier system, subject to the stage of the artists’ career as well as what the artist can afford.
The two tier options are:
* Tier Two: This is aimed at emerging – mid-career artists and costs R2310 p/m (for which artists are required to give back 27 hours of working time to the organisation per year)
* Tier Three: Aimed at mid-career – established artists and costs R2750.
Artists must choose on their ability to pay rent and commitment to give back time. The studio is available from 01 October 2017.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS is 4PM, 19 SEPTEMBER 2017
How are the applications assessed?
Applications are assessed by a selection committee made up of artists, curators, academics and buyers.
For application requirements, click here.