Bag Factory Artists’ Studios is offering a self-funded, self-directed studio residency to an artist who would benefit from a period of uninterrupted time to focus on developing their work. Please kindly note that this is a self-funded studio residency; as such the Bag Factory will NOT be able to assist with travel arrangements or costs of accommodation, travel or living expenses.
Start Date for Residency: 1 October 2019
End Date for Residency: 31 January 2020
Application Deadline: Sunday 8 September 2019, midnight (SAST)
The successful applicant will be contacted by 13 September 2019. The artist will be required to sign a Residency Agreement and pay the first month’s rental by 1 October 2019.
About the Studio:
One studio measuring approximately 23m² at R 3 327 per calendar month for South African/SADC-based artists (including service charge and 15% VAT) and R 4 400 per calendar month for all other international artists (including service charge and 15% VAT).
Studios are strictly non-residential and are accessible 7 days a week.
There is WiFi access and studio artists will have access to all communal facilities in the building including a shared kitchen.
The Bag Factory is a professional studio space, located on the border of the vibrant suburbs of Fordsburg and Newtown in Johannesburg. We have been operating for more than 28 years and have a stable community of artists from a wide variety of backgrounds. The studio space and its community strive for an open, non-hierarchical creative environment that promotes exchange and experimentation. Artists from all over the world have come to the Bag Factory to work alongside our talented artists and to meet, work, and grow within South Africa’s economic capital.
Selection and Eligibility:
Applications are open to self-funded artists based in South Africa.
- We accept digital applications only.
- Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
1. A portfolio containing a minimum of 20 images of different artworks
2. A curriculum vitae
3. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers, plus confirmation that you will be available from 1 October, if selected. The residency dates are non-negotiable.
- Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
- Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If your file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB your application will not be reviewed.
TO APPLY, EMAIL: email@example.com
Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed.