Gail Behrmann Bio
Born 1948 and educated in Potchefstroom at Central Primary School and the Girls High
Behrmann studied art with Bill Ainslie Studios which finally became the Johannesburg Art Foundation.
She combines painting with a career as an archive researcher for films, books and museum installations with Angus Gibson and William Kentridge’s theatre installations. This comfortably connects both her worlds of film and art.
Behrmann was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 1988 and due to serious medical complications between 1994 and 1997 she did little painting and concentrated on filmmaking instead. She now regards herself as “stabilised and replaced with good spare parts”.
Behrmann energetically participates in exhibitions and private commissions. Her studio is at the The Bag Factory in Johannesburg.
- Anglo American Corporation
- The World Bank USA
- Spier Arts Trust
- Nando’s Art Collection
- Combined Artists (Pty) Ltd
- The Premier Group
- Sasani Ltd
- Raphaely-Weiner and Partners.
- Wits Art Museum (WAM) – Jack Ginsberg Art Books collection
- Private collections in South Africa, USA, Canada, Australia, England, Germany and Israel