[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”3863″ img_size=”large” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”3864″ img_size=”large” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The Bag Factory Artists’ Studios is inviting applications for the Bag Factory Young Woman Studio Bursary. This new programme, generously funded by Bag Factory alumni artist Sam Nhlengethwa, will offer an emerging/early career woman/womxn artist (under 35) a 12-month fully funded studio bursary at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios.
This programme will begin on 1 October 2019 and run until 30 September 2020.
The artist is expected to:
- Work from the Bag Factory a minimum of 4 week days each week, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists.
- Attend the Bag Factory’s events and artist’s meetings.
- Complete a written report on their residency.
- Arrive on time and stay for the full period (12 months).
What will the successful applicant receive?:
- A fully funded studio bursary for 12 months.
- A studio crit session with Sam Nhlengethwa during the studio residency.
- The opportunity to engage with Bag Factory artists, staff, international visiting artists, and visiting curators.
- The opportunity to be included in Bag Factory exhibitions and creative programmes.
- Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay as this is a cultural development programme.
- As this is a studio bursary, applicants will NOT receive any funding towards materials, accommodation or transport.
About the Studio:
- One studio measuring approximately 23m².
- Studios are strictly non-residential and are accessible 7 days a week.
- There is WiFi access and studio artists will have access to all communal facilities in the building including a shared kitchen.
The Bag Factory is a professional studio space, located on the border of the vibrant suburbs of Fordsburg and Newtown in Johannesburg. We have been operating for more than 28 years and have a stable community of artists from a wide variety of backgrounds. The studio space and its community strive for an open, non-hierarchical creative environment that promotes exchange and experimentation. Artists from all over the world have come to the Bag Factory to work alongside our talented artists and to meet, work, and grow within South Africa’s economic capital.
DEADLINE FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS is Tuesday 17 September 2019 at midnight (SAST).
Selection and Eligibility:
Applications are open to emerging and early career women/womxn artists under the age of 35, who are based in South Africa. Applicants who have previously benefited from one of the Bag Factory’s awards or studio bursary programmes are not eligible.
- We accept digital applications only.
- Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
1. A portfolio containing a minimum of 20 images of different artworks
2. A curriculum vitae
3. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers, plus confirmation that you will be available from 1 October, if selected. The residency dates are non-negotiable.
- Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
- Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If your file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB your application will not be reviewed.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Bag Factory’s Programme Selection Committee. The PSC decision is final.
- Shortlisted applicants ONLY will be contacted for interviews.
- Interviews will take place on Friday 20 September 2019.
TO APPLY, EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed.
The Bag Factory would like to thank Sam Nhlengethwa for making this programme possible.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]