Art Connection Africa: Bag Factory Artist Residency Open Call 2021
1 FEB – 30 APR | 2021 Application Deadline: 30 November 2020 (10am SAST)
Bag Factory Artist Residency Open Call 2021
Supported by KfW Stiftung in partnership with Triangle Network, open to artists based in Angola, Botswana, Namibia, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
Residency dates: 1 February to 30 April 2021
Application Deadline: 30 November 2020 (10am SAST)
We are delighted to launch the second iteration of Art Connection Africa, a collaboration between KfW Stiftung and Triangle Network to foster visual art exchanges, capacity building and informal learning activities within Sub-Saharan Africa.The aim of the programme is to stimulate exchanges within the Southern Africa region where a number of the Triangle Network partners are located and have contributed to the development of a local art scene. The residency will offer the selected candidate an opportunity for professional development, research and production of new work in a dynamic context that promotes dialogue, experimentation and innovation in the visual arts.
Art Connection Africa began in 2019 with three residencies hosted by Bag Factory, in Johannesburg, in September 2019. The selected participants were: artist Elizabeth Kobusinge Karamagi (Uganda), curator Fadzai V. Muchemwa (Zimbabwe) and artist Gina Maxim. To find out more please visit the Triangle Network website.
This opportunity will enable an emerging artist based in Angola, Botswana, Namibia, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, under the age of 45, to undertake a fully-funded residency at the Bag Factory in Johannesburg from 1 February to 30 April 2020.
The Bag Factory is an independent Non-Profit Organisation that provides a community and studio space for practicing visual artists. With a focus on exchange of ideas and innovation, Bag Factory hosts resident artists’ studios and develops a programme of international residencies, exhibitions, specialist skills workshops and audience outreach activities and events. The Bag Factory has been supporting and promoting the visual arts in South Africa since 1991. It is affiliated with the Triangle Network.
The selected candidate is offered a studio in a supportive environment and will work alongside other South African and international artists. The candidate will have the support of Bag Factory staff and artists to quickly become part of the community. They will also be encouraged to interact with local artists, curators and other arts professionals in order to expand their networks and experience the new context. At the same time, the selected artist is expected to be driven, self-sufficient and use their initiative to ensure a successful residency.
The artist will be selected by a committee including representatives from the Bag Factory, Triangle Network and KfW Stiftung. The successful artist only will be notified by 4 December 2020.
We accept digital applications only. Please prepare a PDF or a folder including the following information:
1. An artist's statement describing your practice and areas of interest (up to 250 words).
2. A minimum of 20 images of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary.
3. A CV/Resume incl. relevant exhibitions if any and former residencies if any.
4. A simple statement outlining your plans, if you were to be offered the residency, which could include a short description of a research project specific to the context of Johannesburg or your residency at Bag Factory (up to 250 words). This proposal does not have to be definitive and can change during the course of the residency.
5. Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc).
6. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available from 1 February to 30 April 2021, if selected. Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered. Please email your application and any questions you have about the residency to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about selection criteria and application procedures please see PDF attached below.