Internship Opportunity : Programmes Assistant
As part of the Presidential Employment Stimulus Package (PESP), Fordsburg Artists’ Studios t/a Bag Factory Artists’ Studios has been selected as a host to employ a graduate intern as part of the PESP 3 Work-Based Experience programme coordinated by the Art Bank of South Africa.
Post: Programmes Assistant (Internship)
Contract: Fixed term, 4 months
Remuneration: R 5,800 per month
Hours: 9am-5pm, 5 Days/Week
Location: Bag Factory, Johannesburg
Closing date: Monday, 3 April 2023 (12pm SAST)
Interviews: Thursday, 5 April 2023
Commencement: Tuesday, 11 April 2023
End of Contract Monday, 31 July 2023
The Bag Factory is a non-profit contemporary visual art organisation located in Fordbsurg, Johannesburg. We provide studio space to a cross-generational community of Johannesburg-based artists. We also host a prestigious international artists’ residency and awards programme, alongside regular exhibitions that showcase new work by emerging artists to the wider public. We are affiliated with the international Triangle Network.
All our programmes are accompanied by events and an audience engagement programmes that encourage greater understanding of contemporary visual art and stimulate interaction between artists and the local community.
This is a unique opportunity to join the Bag Factory as we celebrate the organisation’s 31st Anniversary with an exciting program of projects, exhibitions, and events.
- Assist with administrative duties requested by the Programme Manager: structuring the programme, emailing - monitor the info@ inbox; responds to queries related to the organisational programmes and studio inquiries; meeting scheduling and minutes taking and transcribing;
- Assist with writing residency and funding reports;
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the Bag Factory, including communication with artists, contractors, and visitors
- Ensure all front of house areas are presentable and welcoming
- Liaise with gallery visitors and guests during exhibition opening
- Assist with creating interpretive plans – exhibition and project planning
- Assist with exhibition related content: Collating content from artists, writing of exhibition statement, labels, information panels, pricelists among other material;
- Assist with creating an exhibition layout and coordinated installation
- Assist with developing and implementing creative programming to enhance an exhibition
- Assist with public programme development and implementation set by Programmes Manager
- Assist with gathering of Exhibition related content assets and Image filing, according to set filing system and file naming conventions.
- Liaise with Communications Department where necessary;
Research, Internal Communication
- Assist with development of exhibitions, installations, and special projects
- Assist with research information for funding proposals
- Assist with conceptualisation of new projects and give input into existing ones
- Provides information to Communications and Marketing personnel to develop communications and marketing materials for exhibitions and creative programs
- Provides information regarding exhibitions and programs for website and social media content
Experience and abilities:
Applicants are required to have:
- A BA degree or diploma in a humanities or visual art discipline including Fine Art, Art History, Heritage Management, Curatorship, Visual Studies, competent writing skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft office
- Experience in working with visual art projects and/or exhibitions
- Good written and communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft office: Proficient in Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook and hold basic knowledge of PowerPoint and generally computer literate
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Suite programmes and have a design eye
- Is acquainted with work management programmes/softwares and their integration with Microsoft Office
- The ability to work well within a team, is attentive to detail, thinks laterally and deems themselves a problem solver.
- The intern will be mentored by the direct line manager
- Mentorship will be day to day with a monthly performance discussion
- As part of a small team, interns will also have opportunities to work in other departments for wider experience
- A written end of internship review will be discussed with the intern.
- The intern will receive a reference letter from the mentor. The mentor reserves the right to determine the content of the reference letter
How to Apply
To apply you will need to fill in a form and attach the following documents.
- A short CV
- A motivation letter
- A copy of your ID or passport
- The contact details of two references
- Your current contact details
Click here to access the application link
Deadlines for applications is the Monday, 3 April 2023 at 12 mid-day.
Please email your queries to email@example.com or call 011 834 9181 and ask to speak to Zinhle Zwane, Programmes Coordinator.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview on 6 April 2023. May the shortlisted candidates avail themselves for the day of the interview. The shortlisted candidates may be requested to complete a practical Exercise. No late or incomplete applications will be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. We reserve the right not to appoint.