Bag Factory Artists’ Studios is excited to announce that applications are now open for the TENTH EDITION of the David Koloane Award.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”3658″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”3656″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The 2019 David Koloane Award will focus on PERFORMANCE ART and will be granted to three emerging (under 35 and not represented by a gallery) South African artists who work primarily as performance artists.
Programme Dates: 10 July – 15 September 2019
Deadline for Applications: Sunday 9 June (midnight, SAST)
This annual award was initiated in 2010 to celebrate the life and career of Dr David Koloane (b.1938), internationally respected artist, curator, writer and founding member of the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios. In honour of David Koloane’s contribution to developing the arts industry through his ethos of mentorship and learning through exchange, the David Koloane Award benefits emerging artists who demonstrate passion, dedication and potential for excellence.
Recipients will receive an intensive eight-week residency at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios, including studio space, materials stipend, mentorship from the Bag Factory and established artists, and the opportunity to present their work at the prestigious FNB Joburg Art Fair. This incredible opportunity is made possible through a long-standing partnership with Artlogic and Gauteng Provincial Government’s Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation.
The programme will begin on Wednesday, 10 July 2019 and will run until Wednesday, 15 September 2019.
The artist is expected to:
- Work from the Bag Factory, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists.
- Attend the Bag Factory’s events and participate in the Bag Factory’s community ethos of learning and sharing through exchange.
- Attend all meetings and crit sessions scheduled with the Bag Factory and mentor artists.
- Produce new and exciting performance-based work to be presented at the 2019 FNB Joburg Art Fair.
- Complete a written report on the programme on completion of the residency.
- Arrive on time and stay for the full period (8 weeks).
What will the award recipients receive?
- Shared studio space.
- Small materials budget for art production while in residence.
- Small stipend towards transport costs.
- Presentation of a performance-based work at the 2019 FNB Joburg Art Fair.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially or expect to be able to fully sustain themselves financially from or during the residency as this is a cultural development programme. Applicants will NOT receive accommodation or transport to Johannesburg to participate in the award.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS is Sunday, 9 June (midnight, SAST).
Shortlisted candidates ONLY will be contacted for interview by Wednesday 12 June 2019. Interviews will be conducted on Tuesday 18 June 2019.
What must Applicants submit?
A SINGLE PDF document, no more than 10MB in size including the following information:
- Representative portfolio of work produced in the past five years of at least 20 works.
- An exhibition outline / project outline, indicating what you will be working towards during your residency. Remember to also please include a timeline for your planned project.
- A substantial Curriculum Vitae with full names, references, addresses and contact numbers.
- A brief letter of motivation, not more than one A4 page long, outlining reasons for wishing to join the programme and why specifically you wish to come to the Bag Factory.
- Please state whether you have attended any previous workshops such as Thupelo, Artist Career Boot Camp, RMB Unlocked etc.
How are the applications assessed?
Applications are assessed by the Bag Factory’s Programme Selection Committee.
TO APPLY, EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org (with 2019 David Koloane Award as the subject heading)
*Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]