The Bag Factory turns 30 this year, having finally acquired the building that has become a second home to a community of emerging and established artists. While it is a momentous achievement and our grounding principles remain the same, a lot has changed and needs updating since our doors first opened. We have big plans.
It is with that celebratory spirit in mind, that this year’s edition of the Summer Salon, is titled Bag Factory Re-imagined: 300 Drawings. We are inviting the larger art community to celebrate with us by submitting A3 works on paper (including drawings, paintings, and any mixed media work) that illuminates the future of the Bag Factory but also brings together our history and legacy. We want to exhibit 300 drawings by 300 artists to highlight the tentacles of the Bag Factory’s reach over the last 30 years.
The work should consider the existing architectural space, urban location, and/or the essential character of the community to breathe new life into it according to the artist’s visions of the future.
Some ideas could encompass the following concepts:
- Environmental friendliness
- Green spaces
- Identity and culture: our place in the city and in the world
- Reception: welcome, first impressions
- Public interaction
We hope this will encourage our current arts community and yet-to-join family to highlight the positive aspects of the Bag Factory and reinforce the impact and pivotal role we continue to play in the development of the arts in South Africa, the continent, and the rest of the world. We’re looking forward to receiving work that communicates a reimagined Bag Factory through a contemporary lens.
If you are interested in participating, please complete email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following details:
- Name, surname and contact details
- High-res image of the work (1Mb or larger)
- Title, medium, size, year of completion
INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS will not be accepted.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS (EXTENDED): Thursday 30 September 2021, 22:00 (SAST)
- All works must be in the format of an A3 work on paper. Artworks not in this format will not be considered for the Summer Salon exhibition at the Bag Factory.
- All selected artworks should be delivered to the artist’s nearest drop off point in an A3 envelope.
- The submission form must be printed and securely affixed to the front of the envelope.
- Selected works must be delivered to the artist’s nearest drop off point from 17 September until 30 September 2021 between 10am and 4pm. Artworks delivered after this time will miss the courier collection and will not be included in the Summer Salon exhibition at the Bag Factory.
- Unsold works will be returned to the drop off point after the exhibition has ended and must be collected from the relevant drop off point within one week after being requested to do so. Any works not collected by this time may be destroyed by the organisation acting as the drop-off point.
Drop off points
Bag Factory (Johannesburg, Gauteng)
011 834 9181
Greatmore Studios (Cape Town, Western Cape)
021 447 9699
KZNSA (Durban, KZN)
081 334 3609
NWU Gallery (Potchefstroom, North-West)
018 299 4341
WHAG (Kimberley, Northern Cape)
053 831 1724/5
ARTEC Gallery (Gqeberha, Eastern Cape)
041 585 3641