[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”3665″ img_size=”large” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Bag Factory Artists’ Studios announces an Open Call for (Un)Framed, a new programme offering exhibition opportunities for artists and curators who are not currently associated with the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios as a resident artist or through our various programmes. Currently, the Bag Factory does not have funding for its (Un)Framed programme and while we have done our best to subsidise the costs associated with hosting an exhibition at the Bag Factory, applicants are expected to pay a gallery rental cost and cover their own production expenses. If and when funding for (Un)Framed exhibition bursaries become available these will be advertised via our opportunities page.

Bag Factory Artists’ Studios is an independent Non-Profit Organisation, providing interactive studio space for practicing visual artists where the exchange of ideas is encouraged and stimulated. It achieves its aims through resident artist studios, international residencies, exhibitions, specialist skills workshops, curatorial development and audience outreach. The Bag Factory has been supporting and promoting the visual arts in South Africa since 1991. It is affiliated with the international Triangle Network.

What is (Un)Framed?
(Un)Framed is a space for creative incubation. Through (Un)Framed, the Bag Factory provides an opportunity to artists and curators who are not associated with the Bag Factory, and who need space to exhibit or present their work, to apply to host a three-week exhibition at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios. Artists or curators who are applying to our (Un)Framed programme are encouraged to propose work that is new, experimental, or pushes the boundaries of traditional arts practice.

Who can apply to our (Un)Framed programme?
All artists and curators interested in having a solo or group exhibition at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios are invited to submit a proposal. There are no age or gender restrictions, and artists are welcome to submit joint proposals to share the space.

What are the costs associated with exhibiting at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios?
(Un)Framed exhibitions will run for three weeks. If your exhibition is selected as part of the (Un)Framed programme, the gallery rental cost will be R8,000.

This is broken down as follows:
Gallery rental for 3 weeks:                 R3,500
Assistance with installation:               R   800
Security at the opening event:           R   960
Assistance with breakdown:               R   800
Painting/repairs of the gallery:           R   750
Newsletter & social media marketing: R1,190

What isn’t covered:

  • Vinyl lettering and labeling – we estimate these costs to be R1,100 for a standard exhibition title.
  • Bar & refreshments for the exhibition opening – we estimate the costs for this to be between R1,500 – R2,000 (alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages, glass hire etc)
  • Materials and production costs
  • Framing
  • Hiring of photographers
  • Design or printing of invitations, brochures or a catalogue
  • Transport of works to and from the exhibition
  • Insurance of artworks
  • Refreshments for exhibition walkabouts
  • Workshops, talks, panel discussions etc

Does the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios take commission? 
We deduct 30% commission from sales of works. The other 70% goes directly to the artist.

When is the deadline for applications?
7 June 2019 (14:00 SAST)

What should my application include?
A completed (Un)Framed exhibition proposal, CV, and no less than TEN images of artworks, or examples of artworks, the artist plans on exhibiting.

When will successful proposals be announced?
All proposals will be reviewed by the (Un)Framed selection committee and successful applicants ONLY will be contacted by 14 June 2019. A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the gallery rental fee (R4,000) is payable upon signing of the exhibition agreement.

Download the (Un)Framed exhibition proposal here:
(Un)Framed_Exhibition Proposal_2019[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]