OPEN CALL: YOUNG/UNFRAMED
The Bag Factory is inviting applications from emerging artists and aspiring curators for a Young/Unframed exhibition bursary. Between February and May 2022, the Bag Factory will commission four artists to produce new work for their first solo presentation in Johannesburg. Each artist will receive financial and curatorial support, and the space to experiment using the Bag Factory’s gallery to create new and/or site-specific work. Each artist will collaborate with an emerging curator who will receive hands-on practical experience and mentorship from the Bag Factory’s staff to realise the exhibition.
Artist support includes: Curatorial and pastoral support from the Bag Factory’s staff and the guest curator, financial support covering the costs of a physical exhibition at the Bag Factory and a digital version of the exhibition which will showcased on the Bag Factory’s website.
Successful curatorial applicants will receive a one-off fee of R 8,500.00 and mentorship from the Bag Factory’s staff in planning, logistics, administration, and creative direction of an exhibition.
What isn’t covered:
- Artwork materials and production costs
- Transport of works to and from the exhibition
- Insurance of artworks
- Artists’ transport to and from Johannesburg, accommodation, local transport etc
- Curator’s transport to and from Johannesburg, accommodation, local transport etc
Who can apply to our Young/Unframed programme?
- Artists applying need to be under 35 years and not have had a solo exhibition in Johannesburg.
- Curators applying need to be under 35 years with less than 3 years exhibitions, curatorial, or gallery assistant/administration experience.
Young/Unframed is aimed at creating opportunities for identifying and including young creatives who are less represented in South Africa’s creative industry, and we strongly encourage applications from women of colour, persons who identify as LGBTQI+, and persons living with physical and/or mental disabilities.
Does the Bag Factory take commission?
We deduct 30% commission from sales of works to support the continuation of our creative programmes. The other 70% goes directly to the artist.
When is the deadline for applications?
10 January 2022 (10:00 SAST)
What should my application include?
Artists: A SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT including one-page CV, a one-page artist’s statement and no less than TEN images of artworks, or examples of artworks, the artist plans on exhibiting. Submit your documents to email@example.com with subject line YOUNG/UNFRAMED ARTIST
Curators: A SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT including a one-page CV and a one-page motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line YOUNG/UNFRAMED CURATOR
When will successful proposals be announced?
All proposals will be reviewed by the Young/Unframed selection committee and successful applicants ONLY will be contacted for interview by 24 January 2022.
Phase one of YOUNG/UNFRAMED is supported by African Artists’ Foundation Artists’ Solidarity Fund. Phase two of YOUNG/UNFRAMED is supported by National Arts Council of South Africa.