Junior Post Opportunity : Archivist
As part of National Heritage Council, Fordsburg Artists’ Studios t/a Bag Factory Artists’ Studios has been granted funding towards a project that is to digitise Bag Factory’s archives and its collection spanning nearly 32 years.
Post: Archivist (Junior Post)
Contract: Fixed term, 5 months
Remuneration: R 6000.00 per month
Hours: 9am-5pm, 5 Days/Week
Location: Bag Factory Artists’ Studios, Fordbsurg, Johannesburg
Closing date: Tuesday, 12 April 2023 (12pm SAST)
Interviews: Friday, 14 April 2023 (Shortlisted candidates only)
Commencement: 17 April 2023
End of Contract 31 August 2023
The Bag Factory is a non-profit contemporary visual art organisation located in Fordbsurg, Johannesburg. We provide studio space to a cross-generational community of Johannesburg-based artists. We also host a prestigious international artists’ residency and awards programme, alongside regular exhibitions that showcase new work by emerging artists to the wider public. We are affiliated with the international Triangle Network.
All our programmes are accompanied by events and an audience engagement programmes that encourage greater understanding of contemporary visual art and stimulate interaction between artists and the local community.
This is a unique opportunity to join the Bag Factory as we celebrate the organisation’s 31st Anniversary with an exciting program of projects, exhibitions, and events.
The successful candidate will have the incredible opportunity to assemble, digitally convert, catalogue and organise materials pertaining to the 32 year old Bag Factory archive and in so doing assist in the preservation and management of this invaluable collection of historical information to make it available to future projects and researchers online.
Required skills and knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- an interest and knowledge of art history in South Africa
- analytical thinking skills
- administration skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- the ability to work well with others
- concentration skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages confidently
- evaluate records for preservation and retention
- assess items that may be fragile and need careful handling, repair or conservation
- catalogue collections and manage information and records
- promote your work through exhibitions, presentations, talks and visits
- prepare record-keeping systems and procedures for archival research and for the retention of records
- maintain user-friendly, computer-aided search systems
- Adobe Suite proficiency and Design skills
- Good written and communication skills
- Proficient in knowledge of Microsoft office namely: Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
You're likely to spend a large proportion of your time working at a computer. Some tasks may be physically demanding.
· Store materials correctly and keep them in good condition
· Digitise primary and secondary archival materials in-house and outsource additional professional services where required, including the creation of metadata records
· Organizing and preserving digital assets by creating metadata records and maintaining an inventory of files, including creating descriptive titles and keywords for each file
· Use Excel as an archive management software, catalogue and index materials
· Create and set up filing systems of digital records and materials
· Carry out research
· Participate in the collection of oral histories as appropriate.
· Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
· Verifying that digital materials have been created and stored according to industry best practices on digital storage
methods or archival standards
· Maintaining the integrity of digital assets by backing up data regularly, duplicating master copies of digital files, and storing backup copies offsite in case of disaster
· Reviewing digital content for copyright compliance, formatting issues, or other problems that may affect its usability
· Identifying and evaluating new technological trends related to digital media formats and storage methods
· Conducting research to identify the origin of digital materials such as websites, email messages, and social media posts
· Archiving digital files and scanning physical documents into digital format
· Using software to organize, annotate, and preserve digital files
Minimum Job Requirements
· Diploma and/or Bachelor's degree; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
· Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· Adobe Suite proficiency and Design skills
· Proficient in knowledge of Microsoft office namely: Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
· An interest in working with visual art projects and/or exhibitions
· Good written and communication skills
HOW TO APPLY
To apply you will need to fill in a form and attach the following documents.
● A short CV
● A motivation letter
● A copy of your ID or passport
● The contact details of two references
● Your current contact details
Click here to fill in the application form
Deadlines for applications is the Tuesday, 12 April 2023 at 12 mid-day (SAST).
Please email your queries to email@example.com or call 011 834 9181 and ask to speak to Zinhle Zwane, Programmes Coordinator.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview on 14 April 2023. May the shortlisted candidates avail themselves for the day of the interview. The shortlisted candidates may be requested to complete a practical Exercise. No late or incomplete applications will be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. We reserve the right not to appoint.