Internship Opportunity : Communications Assistant
As part of the Presidential Employment Stimulus Package (PESP), Fordsburg Artists’ Studios t/a Bag Factory Artists’ Studios has been selected as a host to employ a graduate intern as part of the PESP 3 Work-Based Experience programme coordinated by the Art Bank of South Africa.
Post: Communications Assistant (Internship)
Contract: Fixed term, 4 months
Remuneration: R 5,800 per month
Hours: 9am-5pm, 5 Days/Week
Location: Bag Factory, Johannesburg
Closing date: Monday, 3 April 2023 (12pm SAST)
Interviews: Thursday, 5 April 2023
Commencement: Tuesday, 11 April 2023
End of Contract Monday, 31 July 2023
The Bag Factory is a non-profit contemporary visual art organisation located in Fordbsurg, Johannesburg. We provide studio space to a cross-generational community of Johannesburg-based artists. We also host a prestigious international artists’ residency and awards programme, alongside regular exhibitions that showcase new work by emerging artists to the wider public. We are affiliated with the international Triangle Network.
All our programmes are accompanied by events and an audience engagement programmes that encourage greater understanding of contemporary visual art and stimulate interaction between artists and the local community.
This is a unique opportunity to join the Bag Factory as we celebrate the organisation’s 31st Anniversary with an exciting program of projects, exhibitions, and events.
- Daily duties such as welcoming visitors, responding to emails, studio administration;
- Assist with content development and layout design for social media pages and press releases, website updates and monthly newsletter;
- Work closely with the Department’s Line Manager to implement the Bag Factory’s communications strategy, ensuring a consistent communications tone and brand identity runs through the organisation’s marketing/PR and all of its projects;
- Assist in contributing to audience development strategy and data collection through surveys at events
- Assist with research into new audiences and development of relationships with the local arts community
- Assist Department’s Line Manager in researching new relationships with journalists and press contacts;
- Maintain and update press database and mailing lists
- Assist Department’s Line Manager to create and source content for the website and all social media platforms;
- Assist in tracking website and social media analytics to submit for reporting
- Assist with general design needs as they arise
- Assist with gathering of Marketing/Publicity assets and Image filing, according to according to set filing system and file naming conventions.
- Ad-hoc support to other organisational departments making up no more than 15% of the Intern’s time;
Experience and abilities:
- Applicants are required to have a BA or BCom degree or diploma in digital marketing or marketing.
- Adobe Suite proficiency and Design skills
- An interest in working with visual art projects and/or exhibitions
- Good written and communication skills
- Proficient in knowledge of Microsoft office namely: Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Has experience in Social Media content development and is comfortable working across various platforms (Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, Facebook etc)
- Is acquainted with work management programmes/softwares and their integration with Microsoft Office
- The ability to work well within a team, is attentive to detail, thinks laterally and deems themselves a problem solver.
- The Intern will be mentored by the Department’s Line Manager
- Mentorship will be day to day with a monthly performance discussion
- As part of a small team, Interns will also have opportunities to work in other departments for wider experience
- A written end of internship review and report will be required and discussed with the Intern
- The intern will receive a reference letter from the mentor. The mentor reserves the right to determine the content of the reference letter.
How to Apply
To apply you will need to fill in a form and attach the following documents.
- A short CV
- A motivation letter
- A copy of your ID or passport
- The contact details of two references
- Your current contact details
Click here to access application form
Deadlines for applications is the Monday, 3 April 2023 at 12 mid-day.
Please email your queries to email@example.com or call 011 834 9181 and ask to speak to Zinhle Zwane, Programmes Coordinator.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview on 6 April 2023. May the shortlisted candidates avail themselves for this day. The shortlisted candidates may be requested to complete a practical Exercise. No late or incomplete applications will be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. We reserve the right not to appoint.