The Bag Factory is delighted to announce that we are once again inviting applications for the Bag Factory Young Womxn Studio Bursary, funded by Bag Factory alumni artist Sam Nhlengethwa.
The Bag Factory Young Womxn Studio Bursary offers support to an emerging/early career woman/womxn artist (under 35) through rent-free studio space for 12 months, an individualised programme of mentoring and professional development opportunities, curatorial and pastoral support, and the opportunity to showcase new work in a solo exhibition at the Bag Factory.
The bursary was developed in direct response to the urgent need for affordable and secure workspace for women/womxn artists in Johannesburg. The Bag Factory Young Womxn Studio Bursary aims to cultivate a space where artists can connect in a supportive studio environment that facilitates creative possibilities, risk-taking, experimentation, and exchange.
This programme will begin on 1 October 2021 and run until 30 September 2022.
The artist is expected to:
- Work from the Bag Factory a minimum of 4 weekdays each week, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists.
- Attend the Bag Factory’s events and artist’s meetings. *Taking Covid-19 social distancing into consideration.
- Produce a new body of work to be exhibited at the Bag Factory in August 2022.
- Complete a written report at the end of their residency.
- Arrive on time and stay for the full duration of the programme (12 months).
- Donate an artwork to the Bag Factory at the end of their residency towards future fundraising activities.
What will the successful applicant receive?
- A fully funded studio bursary for 12 months.
- The opportunity to engage with Bag Factory artists, staff, international visiting artists, and visiting curators.
- The opportunity to be included in Bag Factory’s exhibitions and creative programmes.
- The opportunity to present a new body of work in a solo exhibition at the Bag Factory.
- Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay as this is a cultural development programme.
- As this is a studio bursary, applicants will NOT receive any funding towards materials, accommodation, or transport.
About the Studio:
- One studio measuring approximately 23m².
- Studios are strictly non-residential and are accessible 7 days a week.
- There is WiFi access and studio artists will have access to all communal facilities in the building including a shared kitchen.
The Bag Factory is a non-profit contemporary visual art organisation in Newtown, Johannesburg. With a pioneering 30-year history of providing a supportive infrastructure, we are committed to investing in the long-term development of artists and curators, preparing them to confidently make a significant new step in their professional career. We provide studios to a cross-generational community of Johannesburg based artists; we present exhibitions showcasing new work by emerging artists to the wider public; and we host a prestigious international artist and curator residency programme. The Bag Factory’s artistic programme is unique in combining art making with cultural debate and art exhibitions, thereby creating a fertile international environment for experimentation, innovation, and critical dialogue between creatives in South Africa and the rest of the world.
DEADLINE FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS is Tuesday 31 August 2021 at 11:00 am (SAST).
Selection and Eligibility:
Applications are open to emerging and early career women/womxn visual artists under the age of 35, who are based in South Africa. Applicants who have previously benefited from one of the Bag Factory's awards or studio bursary programmes are not eligible.
- We accept digital applications only.
- Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
1. A portfolio containing a minimum of 20 images of different artworks
2. A comprehensive CV
3. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail, and telephone numbers, plus confirmation that you will be available from 1 October 2021 to 30 September 2022, if selected. The residency dates are non-negotiable.
- Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
- Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If your file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB your application will not be reviewed.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Bag Factory. The decision is final.
- Shortlisted applicants ONLY will be contacted for interviews.
- Interviews will take place between 6-8 September 2021. *Taking social distancing guidelines into consideration.
TO APPLY, EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org (using Young Womxn Studio Bursary as a subject heading).
Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed.
The Bag Factory would like to thank Sam Nhlengethwa for making this annual programme possible.