Bag Factory Artists’ Studios has ONE Tier 2 studio available for rent.
The Bag Factory is a professional studio space, located on the border of the vibrant suburbs of Fordsburg and Newtown. We have been operating for more than 27 years and have a stable community of artists from a wide variety of backgrounds. The studio space and its community strives for an open, non-hierarchical creative environment that promotes exchange and experimentation. We are looking for one mid-career artist to take up a Tier 2 studio on a permanent basis.
The rental for Tier 2 studios is subsidised by the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios, considering the affordability of studio rental for mid-career artists. In return, Tier 2 artists are required to provide 27 hours of service to the Bag Factory during the year of the contract. These services include assisting with projects, exhibitions or fundraising activities, or supporting visiting artists. Should the artist fail to fulfil their service during the period the artist will be billed at a rate of R200 per hour.
Occupation Date: 1 March 2019
For Artists Based in South Africa
Application Deadline: Sunday 17 February 2019, 22:00
The successful applicant will be contacted by 22 February 2019.
The artist will be required to sign a License to Occupy Agreement and pay the first month’s rental and a deposit equal to one month’s rental by 28 February 2019 (total amount payable before occupation is R5 082).
Minimum occupation period: One year
About the Studio:
One studio measuring approx. 25m² at R 2 541 per calendar month* (including service charge and VAT).
*Rental is still set at 2018 rates and will increase by 10% on 1 June 2019 in line with annual inflationary increases.
Studios are strictly non-residential and are accessible 7 days a week.
There is Wi-Fi access and studio artists will have access to all communal facilities in the building including a shared kitchen.
Eligibility and Selection:
– Applications are open to mid-career artists based in South Africa
– A mid-career artist is someone who may have completed an MFA degree; and/or has created an independent body of work over a number of years and who has received regional or national recognition through publication or public presentation of his or her work.
The artist must be:
– A full time practising visual artist who will regularly use their studio
– Willing to be involved in the Bag Factory’s projects and events
– Available to attend all artists’ meetings, can interact in a communal setting
Applications will be reviewed by the Bag Factory’s Programme Selection Committee which is made up of the Bag Factory’s Director and Programme Manager, a studio artist representative, Board representative, and external artists, curators, and arts professionals.
We accept digital applications only.
Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
- An artist’s statement describing your practice and areas of interest (up to 250 words)
- A minimum of 20 images of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary
- A CV/Resume
- Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
- A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available to take occupation of the studio from 1 March 2019, if selected.
Please note that there is a 10MB limit on PDF submissions. If your file is not in PDF format or is over 10MB your application will not be reviewed.
TO APPLY, EMAIL: email@example.com
Please include the following as your email subject heading: Application for Tier 2 Studio
Incomplete and late applications will NOT be reviewed.