The Bag Factory has ONE studio available for rent. We are looking for a mid-career artist to join our studio community.
The Bag Factory is a professional studio space, located in the Fordsburg area. We have been operating for 27 years and have a stable community of artists from a wide variety of backgrounds. The studio space and its community strives for an open, non-hierarchical creative environment that promotes exchange and experimentation. We are looking for one artist to take up a studio on a permanent basis.
What does the artist receive?
– A studio that is approximately 15m², with two wooden walls suitable for hanging
– An electricity point is provided for standard use. (kiln’s, air conditioners, and other high voltage devices need to be discussed with the office.)
– Wireless internet access
– Basic security
– Become part of the Bag Factory community
– Marketing through the Bag Factory and its events
Who is eligible?
The artist must be:
A full-time practising visual artist who is capable of regularly using a studio in their visual arts practice.
– An artist with a willingness to be involved in the Bag Factory’s projects and events.
– Attend all artists meetings, can interact in a communal setting.
Our studio spaces are subsidised and are rented on a tier system, subject to the stage of the artists’ career as well as the artist affordability, the available studio is only for ‘tier one’ artist and is; aimed at emerging – mid-career artists and costs R1936 p/m (for which artists are required to give back 54 hours of working time to the organisation per annum).
The studio is available from 01 September 2018.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS 5 PM, 31 July 2018.
For application requirements, click here